1d red-brown plate 148

The output of Perkins, Bacon from 1840 to 1880.
Patrick Austin

1d red-brown plate 148

Post by Patrick Austin »

I have recently acquired the wrapper shown on the attached scan. Could anyone suggest the reason for obtaining the authentication shown.
The cancellation is the LCO oval with '13' in diamond and backstamps are maltese cross for Lombard Street and Kendal arrival circle. Date
18/19 March 1853.
Attachments
23517_1.jpg
23517_2.jpg
23517_3.jpg
railwaynut

Transfer from previous board: original post 23523

Post by railwaynut »

I am surprised that anyone found it necessary to acquire a certificate for this item. It is fairly obvious what it is.

You describe it as a 'wrapper' but the certificate describes it as an 'entire'.

An ENTIRE is a complete letter including the wrtten contents.
It was standard practice to fold a sheet of paper and write the correspondence on one half and then fold it so that the blank half was on the outside keeping the contents private. The name and address were written on the outside and all the postal markings were struck on this outer covering part.

Often the contents half of an entire were detached as all the postal markings were on the 'cover' and this is what collectors were generally interested in. This outer part is known as a COVER. i.e. without contents and not an entire letter.

Wrappers are separate pieces of paper placed around but not totally enclosing the item of mail. They were introduced for use with newspapers and allowed the contents to be checked. Newspapers were printed matter and were carried at a cheaper rate however the post office had to check written words were not added.

One postal histroy dealer has for sa long time wrongly described 'covers' as 'wrappers' and unfortnuately others new to the trade are also using the incorrect terms.
AB1961

Re: 1d red-brown plate 148

Post by AB1961 »

Hi Railwaynut ,

Over many years i have acquired similar items . One explanation is that some sellers
like to add provenance to items they are selling. Auction Houses are a good example of this.