Straight Line "date stamp" appli4ed to ED VII issues

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Edward VII.
MurrayGellatly

Straight Line "date stamp" appli4ed to ED VII issues

Post by MurrayGellatly »

In a SG postbid sale for 29 January 2013 they offered a control block of the EDVII 1/2d from Control J10 with 2 strikes in the margin of a straight line date stamp reading 21 NOV 1910. My assumption is that this is something to do with when the stamp was printed probably being applied to denote the first or last sheet printed on that day.
Is my assumption correct or can somebody with knowledge educate me please
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Straight Line "date stamp" appli4ed to ED VII issues

Post by Mike Jackson »

Murray, could it be the date a collector bought it from the post office? I've not come cross dates being stamped on sheets by the printer. (I was going to ask you to post a scan of the block in question but I've found it on my computer and have attached it to this post.)
Attachments
KEVII 21 NOV 1910.jpg
MurrayGellatly

Re: Straight Line "date stamp" appli4ed to ED VII issues

Post by MurrayGellatly »

Yes that is the one that my question relates to.
I still suspect it was applied at DLR at shift end or start (probably end) to allow a tally of sheets printed for the invoice to the Inland Revenue to be quickly done.

I have a smilar item on the 4d orange stamped once and dated 10 MAR 1910, which was subsequently overprinted "Morocco Agencies 40 Centimos". The "typeface" of the date stamp is slightly different and struck in a light blue.
I am 99.99% certain it has nothing to do with the application of the Overprint.