Q V Penny reds on scottish cover

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Queen Victoria.
lkfman

Q V Penny reds on scottish cover

Post by lkfman »

Can you please identify the Maltese crosses on this cover? As it is from Banff, I wondered if these crosses were of special interest. I have just bought the cover at a Stockport fair where there is a good attendance of dealers, monthly.,usually on the last Tuesday.
Thank you.
sub 1
sub 1
Winston W

Re: Q V Penny reds on scottish cover

Post by Winston W »

Attractive MXs, but Rockoff and Jackson do not record anything for Banff in Volume 1. Winston W
lkfman

Post by lkfman »

Winston W,
Thank you for your helpful reply. I was lucky to find a pair on cover with clear MX's.
Best wishes.
AB1961

Post by AB1961 »

Hi Ikfman,
I have consulted The Cancellations Of The 1841 Penny Red and The Postmarks Of Great Britain
and Ireland and they do not mention a distinctive Maltese Cross for Banff. It is still a nice item.
They look like crosses used in Edinburgh, but not distinctive enough for separate classification.
lkfman

Post by lkfman »

GOOD EVENING AB 1961
That is a great bit of detective work. Just an Edinburgh MX is good news. Strangely enough,I heard only this week from another Member that a town or city which has an allocated number as a Post Town would have had an MX. I would always hold onto a nice pair of Red Stars like these.
Thank you for your encouragement.
With my best wishes.
howard H

Post by howard H »

Hi Ikfman
Banff had a MX and that is where these MXs would have been applied.
They are not distinctive, though.
As you say, any office designated a a main office, or indeed a sub-office (but not a Receiving House) would have been issued with a MX in 1840.
The list of such towns would have been very similar to the list issued with Numerals in 1844.
Keep well,
Howard