Errors/flaws/varieties in booklet panes

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Edward VIII.
Robinr

Errors/flaws/varieties in booklet panes

Post by Robinr »

Dear All,

Just arrived at booklet panes with KEVIII (they don't come any more newcomer than that!), and am impressed that there is no mention of a single error/flaw or variety that I can see. I'd guess it was impossible for a cylinder to be utterly unblemished, and surly there are some rrors somewhere?

Is the reason the obvious one, that the only source of origin is those little panes of six stamps?

Thanks for ANY input to help me get a better insight into this apparently very complicated world of booklet panes.

Robin
nogwig

Transfer from previous board: original post 1248

Post by nogwig »

Image Image Image

You no doubt have seen the little lines on the penny halfpenny in Kirk. Otherwise there are only minor constant flaws. There is a small blemish on the top line of stamp 17/2 of the halfpenny and an extra jewel on the edge of the crown at one o'clock on stamp 18/1 of the penny. After forty years of KEVIII, I can't remember whether I found these myself or read them somewhere!
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1251

Post by Robinr »

Nogwig,

Many thanks. No, I hadn't seen them. My study of the booklets has been cursory so far, but I can see it has a promising future. Interesting that two of the three are marginal stamps.

About 25 years ago, Derek Worboys offered me a small set of partial whole sheet reconstructions of booklets of KGVI. They were fairly expensive and I was totally focussed on the GB Coronation stamp, so declined. A decision I now regret - as I guess most would. But what must have been a long and costly effort (I can only imagine done by buying an entire stock from a single post office in the hope they all came from the same printing?) at least shows there could be a hope of locating positions, and checking flaws for constancy.

Eventually I'll be able to get all my booklet panes under a good glass and will see if anything turns up.

Cheers, Robin
earsathome

Transfer from previous board: original post 1252

Post by earsathome »

Thanks nogwig for posting the information and the scans.
Something else I can have a look for, I have not seen them before either. It's amazing really that we can spend so long collecting what I originally thought to be a very limited collecting reign.
Wrong wasn't I?

Regards.
Ron.
earsathome

Transfer from previous board: original post 1282

Post by earsathome »

As a follow up to my last posting I have checked through our collection and have examples of the three varieties you scanned.
Thanks for the information and that is somethinge else I can note on the writeup.
Regards
Ron.
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1292

Post by Robinr »

To RobinT,

Have you done anything on KE8 booklets?

Guaranteed to read that!

RobinR
robinT

Transfer from previous board: original post 1375

Post by robinT »