1935 Silver Jubilee - Advertising Interleaves

Anything relating to British stamp books and booklets.
Harvey

1935 Silver Jubilee - Advertising Interleaves

Post by Harvey »

In British Stamp Booklets Part 9 page 188 there is mention of the different types of interleaf page numbering which can be found in the 1935 Silver Jubilee booklets. Two types are illustrated and mentioned, but no booklet edition numbers are given for the different types. I have the following and wonder if others exist: type-set page numbers+edition numbers+value - 2/- 302; 303; 304; 3/- 296; 297. Manuscript edition numbers+value 3/- 295. Manuscript page numbers only - 2/- 299; 300; 3/- 295. Three shilling booklet 295 can thus be found with two distinctly different types of manuscript inscriptions. Question: Can this edition also be found with the printed version?
Paul Ramsay

Transfer from previous board: original post 2611

Post by Paul Ramsay »

I can add 294 with manuscript value+edition.

My guess is that early editions were in manuscript across two panes (value+edition on one, interleaf number on the next); later editions were typeset on a single pane.

2s: 298,299,300 manuscript;
2s: 302,303,304 typeset;
3s: 294,295 manuscript;
3s: 296,297 typeset.

Haven't seen a 301.

Also interesting to note that the image in BSB has the numbering inverted, suggesting this was printed in two places on the sheet, so can be found upright or inverted.
Paul Ramsay

Transfer from previous board: original post 2612

Post by Paul Ramsay »

Following up about the inverted numbering, Ian Harvey points out that the markings were in the central vertical gutter.

This gutter had an upright booklet on one side and an inverted one on the other. When the mass was guillotined, one booklets gets half of the marking upright, another gets the other half inverted. Thus all editions should come with upright and inverted.

Image attached of two panes back to back, reconstructing the complete marking.
Harvey

Transfer from previous board: original post 2743

Post by Harvey »

"My guess is that early editions were in manuscript across two panes (value+edition on one, interleaf number on the next).." Are you suggesting that this occured in the same booklet? If so I can assure you that is not the case, my booklets show ONLY manuscript value+edition in one booklet, with another booklet showing ONLY manuscript interleaf number!

Also, how do we know that the markings occured only in the central vertical gutter? Has anybody seen any proofs of these advert inserts in full sheets?
Harvey

Transfer from previous board: original post 2869

Post by Harvey »

I received this from Ian Harvey, who wishes it to be added to the discussion. "To answer your questions. The general procedure for collating interleaves was that they should be marked as additional information to printing the interleaves with the edition value, edition number and the inter leaf number, the latter to indicate the order of stacking. These stacking markings were in the central gutter where the stitching will occur so with normal size books there would be two columns of adverts either side and, no doubt, the interleaf number was obvious to see as with the edition number and value. With your larger Silver Jubilee booklets, there were two books on the left and one book on the right of these markings so that the markings appear in the binding margin. The front of the interleaf had numbers and the back had the same number with “A” underneath (or beside on printed markings) to indicate front and back to the collator.

On your specific questions, I have only three books to give an example of each but I think that they show all that you need to know. Firstly, I have 3/= edition 297 with all printed info on one interleaf because there is sufficient room for printing all the info. Then, I have 3/= edition 295 with the page number only as you have and you will notice that the number is very long and thin and uses up all the vertical space of an interleaf. This matches your 3/= edition 295 that has only the edition number and value, which again uses up all the interleaf vertical space. These interleaves were adjacent and you may be able to work out which was higher and lower. To illustrate the point about the manuscript markings taking the total vertical space of two interleaves, you have 2/= edition 300 with page numbers only and I have that same edition with manuscript 300 and 2/= only.

So, there were not two different types of manuscript inscriptions on the same editions. However, I have not tried to see whether the hand of the manuscript differs from one edition to another – was it the same person writing or different people from one edition to the next. As the markings have been put on the plate that prints the interleaves, there will only be one type of marking on each edition – there was no change in the adverts in any edition of your Silver Jubilee (or for that matter, photogravure)."
Paul Ramsay

Transfer from previous board: original post 2870

Post by Paul Ramsay »

"Are you suggesting that this occured in the same booklet?"
No, not at all. Value+edition on one pane, interleaf number on the next pane on the sheet, not the next pane in the booklet.

When the mass was cut, all value+edition would be in one booklet, all interleaf numbers in a different booklet.

Central gutter - from Ian Harvey.

Ed 301 - from another collector, is typeset.