Values as per County Catalogues

General postal history discussions on any topics we don't have a specific category for.
boblynn

Values as per County Catalogues

Post by boblynn »

I am a GBPH collector based in Australia, so I am a little out of touch as to current prices for PH material. I have a good deal of literature including a set of the County Catalogues, but of course these are now 40 years old and so the value guides are somewhat out of date. Is there a view as to a factor one should apply to the value table in the front of these books so as to update their relevance? For example would one regard today’s values as generally being much the same as shown in the books, or would one assume double, triple or even half?
Bob Lynn
Winston W

Re: Values as per County Catalogues

Post by Winston W »

Bob,

Postal History is more in demand than it was 40 years ago, plus inflation, so prices will have certainly increased (subject to any large finds of a particular mark since then).

What about buying the BCC Midlands Edition published in 2013? That gives suggested 2012 values by value code, for example A under £8, K from £501-£1,000.

Winston W
boblynn

Re: Values as per County Catalogues

Post by boblynn »

Thank you Winston. I actually already have the Midlands catalogue, but the values shown in that book are very little different to the earlier books. In fact almost identical to the London volume released in 1983. This is what made me wonder whether values were in fact declining quite steeply in real terms - especially since eBay prices are usually even lower!
Bob