“Letter of / found in this envelope” cachet

British postmarks of all kinds and eras.
leamphil

“Letter of / found in this envelope” cachet

Post by leamphil »

Can anyone please give me some information about the violet “Letter of / found in this envelope” cachet ?
How was it intended to be used and what did it mean ?
Attachments
31249_1.jpg
earsathome

Transfer from previous board: original post 31251

Post by earsathome »

Hello there,
I have never seen this cachet and can only put forward a theory, which may be wildly off beam.

When I worked in the Post Office greetings card were cheaper if unsealed. However, it was not uncommon for small letters to be caught inside the back of a larger, unsealed one.

It could be that the cachet was applied and perhaps the name of the addressee inserted in manuscript in the empty space.

Perhaps this was too early for the unsealed charges to apply?

Regards
Ron
leamphil

Transfer from previous board: original post 31252

Post by leamphil »

I don't see how "Letter of ... found in this envelope" applies if this envelope was caught in another - it would be more like "this letter was found caught in another envelope" ?

Any other ideas ? Any other examples known ?

It loooks like it was addressed to a private person so the cachet wouldn't have been applied on arrival at its destination.
leamphil

Transfer from previous board: original post 31265

Post by leamphil »

Suggestion from Stampboards was that it was a Lawyers, Executors or Solicitors filing hand stamp, or maybe from someone collating family history.

The font was also thought to be later than the postal use.
railwaynut

Transfer from previous board: original post 31268

Post by railwaynut »

Any other examples known ? The answer is yes.

I included an short article in the Dec 2006 issue of RAILWAY PHILATELY. An envelope sent to Morcambe had an EdVII 1d stamp which had surprisingly been cancelled with a BERLIN-HAMBURG Bahnpost mark.
The envelope had slipped inside a printed matter item of post and not discovered until it was on a TPO in Germany.
A pencilled note in Geman was added by the Bahnpost sorter who discovered the envelope.