Postmark query E.C 63

British postmarks of all kinds and eras.
jimusedcontrols

Postmark query E.C 63

Post by jimusedcontrols »

hallo
can anyone help with the enclosed postmark which does not seem to appear in Dubus or Parmenter? Any help much appreciated.
regards
James
Attachments
1623_1.jpg
earsathome

Transfer from previous board: original post 1624

Post by earsathome »

Hello James,
We thought we could find this immediately as it is obviously a London District Post cancellation so we checked the book by H. C. Westley for EC63.
However, there is nothing for any 63 and although examples show the numbers they mostly have a square behind the figures not an oval in that series.
In that format numbers 77-82 and then 71-76 then 59, 60, 90 and 93 have been seen but not in the records.
Sorry not to be able to help but that is another source investigated.
Cheers
Eunice and Ron.
boblynn

Transfer from previous board: original post 1625

Post by boblynn »

Hi James - I'm not an expert on this, but I have a book " Postal Cancellations of
London" by H C Westley which shows, in the chapter on the East Central District Office, a cancellation similar to yours ( I'm assuming your cancellation has bars that are over inked and therefore not possible to discern clearly)and states that numbers 51 to 62 were issued on Feb 9th, 1876 and..."were eventually extended to 84".
Hope this helps
Rob
jimusedcontrols

Transfer from previous board: original post 1626

Post by jimusedcontrols »

thanks for input till now. It certainly is not overly overinked and does have a different feel especially the left and right sides. I checked Westley too as well as Hendy and anything else I have access too!

regards
James