Serifed F in vertical barred diamond

British postmarks of all kinds and eras.
TonyStanford

Serifed F in vertical barred diamond

Post by TonyStanford »

I would like to identify where the attached covers were cancelled, both from the same correspondence paying the 4d letter rate with Ringwood receiving marks on the reverse dated May 27 and July 10 1885. One also has 'About Capt. Hutchinson' on the reverse.
Covers with serifed F in vert barred diamond.jpg
AB1961

Re: Serifed F in vertical barred diamond

Post by AB1961 »

Hi Tony,
I have found some information regarding your postmark, i cannot locate the post office
concerned but on the Philatelic Web , an F in a diamond was designated as City of London, or Foreign Branch.
Let me know if you do locate the post office.
Regards Andy.
TonyStanford

Post by TonyStanford »

Many Thanks Andy,
I believe these were military covers sent in a bag to London so it makes sense that they were cancelled by the Foreign Branch. I will need to investigate who the sender could be and this Captain Hutchinson mentioned on the reverse and will let you know if I get any more info. Tony
Sark

Post by Sark »

Tony Hi

The F in diamond was used in the London Foreign Section, and in this instance I suspect the envelopes were included in a ships bag from H.M.S.Triumph., a 14 Gun iron armoured ship of 6640 tons.

The writer I think is Naval Cadet Edward A Baird and his ship was in Coquimbo Chile between 3rd May to 25th June 1885.

I must also confess that I am no maritime postal history expert but I do have a copy Geoffrey Osborn's marvellous book "Navel Officers Letters" published by the Rossiter Trust. Pages 54 & 55 illustrate the mark and page 60 has an envelope from the same correspondence received in Ringwood 27 July 1885. It has a different FB dumb cancel but the same 4d rate.

The book is still available from http://WWW.rossitertrust.com price £15 but I dont know the postage costs.

Hope this is of help

Regards

Simon Burke
TonyStanford

Post by TonyStanford »

Many thanks Simon, that is a brilliant response. Naval history is not my area but I am writing up a few naval covers that I have accumulated over the years.