Morocco Agencies Q for G variety

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Edward VIII.
earsathome

Morocco Agencies Q for G variety

Post by earsathome »

Hello all,

We have a block of 30 of the Morocco Agencies 15 centimos Spanish currency showing the variety on stamp number 5 in row 5.

Unfortunately we do not know the cylinder number on which the variety appears. Can anyone help?

You can check it out on our new King Edward VIII collection pages by going to http://www.earsathome.com/keviii/keviii/e8mavar2.html

or you can view the whole collection at

http://www.earsathome.com/keviii/keviii/e8aaint.html

Regards.

Ron and Eunice.
earsathome

Transfer from previous board: original post 1640

Post by earsathome »

Hello again,
For some reason those links on the previous message are not working.
Till I have sorted it you can get to us at
http://www.earsathome.com/stamps.html

and on the right hand side click on
Keing Edward the Eighth - A collection.

Apologies and thanks.
Ron.
earsathome

Transfer from previous board: original post 1641

Post by earsathome »

Hi all,
Sorry for this. The first link should be

http://www.earsathome.com/keviii/keviii/e8mavar2.html

which takes you to the relevant page and the other one

http://www.earsathome.com/stamps.html

takes you to the stamps page where you can click on the link.

Apologies for a Monday morning post!!

Regards
Ron.
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1642

Post by Robinr »

Hi Ron,

Your 5/5 flaw is from pane A/36, cylinder 12 no stop, probably the fourth overprint printing, and is apparently only partially constant. (Soucre, reference: "Morocco Agencies/Tangier Study Paper 3c. The Overprints of the King Edward VIII issues of Great Britain", published by the Great Britain Overprints Society, Dec. 1989, Revised edition).

Your links came out perfectly the first time, and I sent yesterday afternoon happily and dreamily browsing back and forth through your complete KE8 collection. Warmest congratulations, it is just marvelous.

There is much to exchange thoughts about, but I am unable to use the eMail link. Can you contact me direct? robinrestall@gmail.com

Congratulations again, Robin
earsathome

Transfer from previous board: original post 1646

Post by earsathome »

Hi Robin,
Many thanks for that information - much appreciated. I really did not know who to check with about it but you have come up trumps!

Glad to hear that the link worked for you, it seems that the next word after the link was also included in the link in both instances. I tried again using more line feeds but still with the same result.

Thanks for your kind comments about the collection, nice to know it is appreciated and I am sure we will have points of interest/discussion and I will contact you off list.

Thanks again and regards.
Ron.
nogwig

Transfer from previous board: original post 1647

Post by nogwig »

You will have heard ad nauseam that Alf Kirk asked me for a copy of the Type 2A perf for the upcoming KEVIII handbook. No scanning in those days! I had to ask the professional photographer who did our retirement photos at work to photograph it. He said he had never photographed stamps before but there was always a first time!
The previous week I had gone to an arcade in the Strand and bought the block of nine showing the Q for G flaw. I had that photographed too and sent it off to Alf to see if he could giver me any info on it. He said he had never seen it before but would include it anyway. After the book was published, someone wrote in to the GBJ to say that a dealer he knew swore that it was at position 5/5.
After forty years it is nice to get final confirmation of its position!

At the same time, I bought half a dozen Morocco Agency covers to a Miss Pearson who had obviously written to the different MA post offices and asked them to send letters to her.
Does anyone know anything about her as these covers still appear on eBay?

Rgds

John
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1648

Post by Robinr »

Hi Ron, and now John, and whoever else...

I just picked up Hugh Vallancey's little book, "The Postage Stamps of King Edward VIII", published in 1948. On page 35 there is a photograph of a Control block cylinder 2, of the Tuppenny-ha'penny Bright Blue, overprinted with MOROCCO AGENCIES. There on stamp R18/1 is the Q for G flaw...

The study of how the formes were put together for the various printings of the various overprints is really complex. And is a pretty specialized subject at that. As I understand it, the overprints were not made from a single cylinder but from a series of slugs locked into a forme, and were all made by hand. The panes were printed in a stack, not full sheets on a web.

It seems that a complete forme might be partially dissembled and more slugs added, or changed - with the result that damaged letters, or letters of a slightly different size or shape might appear in different places on different panes.

So, here's the second Q for G, and I expect there are probably more!

Cheers,

Robin
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1649

Post by Robinr »

Hi John,

I know that I have a stack of covers addressed to the Miss(es) Pearson somewhere, mostly the '37 Coronation stamp but also KE8. I did a simple analysis of all those covers back when I collected them - but not sure what I dug up on these ladies. Soon as we get back from England I'll dig them out and see what there is.

Cheers,

Robin
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1650

Post by Robinr »

Of course I had to look at my overprinted sheets of the tuppenny-ha'penny blue... mine do not have the Q for G flaw. The no stop pane was from the seventh printing, while the stop pane was from the 5th, 6th or 7th printing. This reinforces the aspect that the formes were changed, and no doubt the block with the faulty G turned up elsewhere!

Can you imagine the complexity of trying to collect all the variables...

Robin
earsathome

Transfer from previous board: original post 1715

Post by earsathome »

John,
I have finally tracked down what was bugging me about the Q for G postings.

I was getting confused when all the messages were being repeated before the actual new message appeared and I missed your comments - (or at least I was confused by who actually sent it) and did not respond.

I attributed your message to someone else and have just woken up as I checked back through the messages tonight.

It was interesting to hear about your experiences with getting the photo for
the Type 2A perf for Alf - doesn't it make us realise just how much communication has improved when it comes to scanning etc.

When Eunice and I worked at Cable and Wireless in London the whole of the top floor of the building was given over to fax/pics to do what we can now do on our desk top. One line of a picture coming in at a time, really slowly.

Anyway, I am glad that we could supply the final confirmation (if needed) of the 5/5 position!

Cheers for now, and apologies for the delay.

Ron.