Airgraphs

General postal history discussions on any topics we don't have a specific category for.
mike.mood@talktalk.net

Airgraphs

Post by mike.mood@talktalk.net »

Is anybody out there collecting / studying airgraphs?
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Airgraphs

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Mike, I have a few, mainly to complement my collection of meter franking (some airgraph envelopes were postmarked using converted franking machines - see attached PDF).
Attachments
_meter_airgraphs.pdf
(740.25 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
mike.mood@talktalk.net

Well that was a very interesting post and I took several points from it, so thank you for that. Your page 3 is BRILLIANT!

However, it was not the kind of response I was hoping for, so I am just going to post my specific query and see what happens.

I have just acquired two Christmas 1944 forms, which I believe are based upon a CMF original. One of them contains a feature which I have never seen anywhere else. All forms started off with a space requiring the "Sender's name". This later evolved to "Sender's name & address". On this form, for the first time that I have seen anywhere, the text has been redacted and substituted underneath with "Sender's name ONLY".

I can find no reference to this in Stephen's or Keeton, so my query is, has anybody else ever seen this and why might it have happened?
Attachments
02 443700 form.jpg
Richudson

Post by Richudson »

Hi Mike,
I recently joined GBPS, hence the date of my reply, I have about 125 Airgraphs sent between members of my Family in the UK and others in Kenya,(dating from 14/9/1942 to 04/09/1944) I keep them as a source of Family History, but willing to share them if required, there are a couple of ''Special' ones bearing Christmas Greetings 1943. Sadly, I do not have any of their envelopes.
mike.mood@talktalk.net

Hi, and thanks for your response. You highlight a problem with collecting airgraphs - to so many people they mean a great deal for personal reasons, which prevents many of them coming to market