5d Machin Cyl.7 v Cyl.10

Anything to do with the Machin definitives issued from 1967 to 2022.
CG5000

5d Machin Cyl.7 v Cyl.10

Post by CG5000 »

I was interested in whether anyone here can differentiate between Cylinder 7 and 10 of the 5d machin.
I was hoping to allocate some missing phosphor specimens to different cylinders, but even though Deegam specifies they have a different setting, this is not apparent to me.
There seems to be no difference in paper, coating or setting.
Originally I thought that cylinder 10 was deeper in tone, but have some cylinder 7 singles of similar shades.

I may well have to lump them together as cylinder 7/10, which the MCC and Connoisseur catalogues do.

Any thoughts?

Clive
jake

Re: 5d Machin Cyl.7 v Cyl.10

Post by jake »

Hello Clive
I disposed of my £sd Machin collection several years ago, so cannot realistically help you with your enquiry. I do not recall seeking to differentiate between cylinders 7 and 10 in the 5d value from isolated specimens say, even if I did I would need to look at the actual stamps.

I certainly had missing phosphors from these cylinders and they now reside in a collection elsewhere. I will pass your query on to a couple of friends who are building up significant collections of this issue and see if they can help.

Kind regards
Tony Walker
CG5000

Post by CG5000 »

Thanks Tony,
I may be expecting too much, but I spent some time on 6d missing phosphors where your article along with Martin Bomford's work on fluorescence helped.

There are several values where differentiating certain cylinders is beyond me, and indeed may not be possible.

Clive
jake

Post by jake »

Hi Clive

The 6d value is a different kettle of fish - plenty of shade variations there, fugitive ink and so on, I recall doing a 16 page display/exhibit on the 6d., but not sure if it was recorded anywhere.

Best of luck

Tony