Missing Scottish Tax

General postal history discussions on any topics we don't have a specific category for.
mcornes

Missing Scottish Tax

Post by mcornes »

I have a 1824 5d cover from Dunfermline to Edinburgh. The 5d rate is correct for the distance, however it does not have a 1/2d stamp added for the Scottish tax.

I do see what looks like a small '2' next to the 5. Could that be a lazy '1/2" ?

On the back is a two line Dunfermline mark with some numbers on bottom left maybe "A12" or "A13" but I could be seeing things there.
1824 5d Ediburgh Cover.jpg
1824 5d Ediburgh Cover Back.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Re: Missing Scottish Tax

Post by admin »

I think you're right -- the squiggle next to the 5 is probably a hastily written ½. Scottish mail routes aren't something I have a lot of information on, but I would have thought it would have gone on a four wheeled vehicle at some point.

The Dunfermline mark would read "18 ----- E" by the look of it -- it's a "mileage mark" giving the distance to Edinburgh. Various code letters appeared in these marks depending on which route the England-bound mail from a town was usually sent -- (E)dinburgh, (G)lasgow, (C)arlisle, (B)erwick, (D)umfries and apparently (L)eith.
mcornes

Re: Missing Scottish Tax

Post by mcornes »

Thank you for confirming and the info on the Mileage mark