Lake Red Imperf SG11

The output of Perkins, Bacon from 1840 to 1880.
AB1961

Lake Red Imperf SG11

Post by AB1961 »

Can anyone give me any information concerning how to identify this unusual shade ? The reason I ask is that there is a very wide range of shades that are supposedly Lake Red. Ranging from a strong red, without a brown element, on white or blued paper to a bright cherry red, and even a very dirty red brown nothing like the previous shades.
I have seen examples with certificates that were in a consistent red , but not a vivid cherry red. I assume that this is the correct colour. Any scans or descriptive information would be very much appreciated.
PhilW

Re: Lake Red Imperf Sg11

Post by PhilW »

This is a difficult subject. In fact the SG evening last Dec. 2022 was going to be on this subject but was cancelled due to train strikes...
Mike Williams (line engraved consultant) was planning to talk.
Personally my experiences over 5 years (pre covid) was about 4 examples submitted to the Royal were all rejected, though the selling dealer was confident. The Royal seems to have become more and more critical possibly as SG/dealers have pushed the value up.
In conclusion there does not seem to be a consensus at present and I shelved the ambition to have one. I would think that scans would not solve this as scans are notorious for distorting 1d red shades.
Hopefully some other opinions.
PhilW
AB1961

Post by AB1961 »

High PhilW,
Many thanks for your quick reply. I agree that shades can be a challenge, and that scans of red stamps are very unreliable.
One of our members sent a plum 1d stamp to two expert committees , one gave a good certificate and the other a bad one .I don't allow these complications to deter my real appreciation of these remarkable shades.
Best regards, Andy
bathcover

Post by bathcover »

If we can organise a replacement meeting at a future SG evening meeting, I would be happy to do so. I think it may warrant an article in the GBJ, but I may not have good news for anyboday, based on what I know so far!!
Regards
Mike Williams
AB1961

Post by AB1961 »

Many thanks Mike , it will be interesting to see if this gets members opinions .