Newsprint Triangular Postmarks

British postmarks of all kinds and eras.
Richudson

Newsprint Triangular Postmarks

Post by Richudson »

Please would someone advise as to where I may find a comprehensive list of the Telegraph Office codes used in the Triangular Hand-stamps, for example LX = Liverpool Exchange? I have most but am missing about 53:AHE
AR
AZ
BI
BIJ
BN
BOF
CEW
CGZ
CK
DAW
DH
DHF
DP
EDC
FT
GD
GE
GEL
GGJ
GHC
GHH
GHT
GP
HOM
IFB
JH
LFW
LHL
LIZ
LO
LOT
MBB
NDJ
NDT
OBE
ONX
PAG
QSE
RC
RL
TFK
TFU
THE
TJ
WDO
WGD
WKY
WMN
WND
WRO
XTG
XTI
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Newsprint Triangular Postmarks

Post by Mike Jackson »

Telegraphic Codes of the British Isles 1870–1924 by James A. Mackay, published by the author in 1981.
Richudson

Post by Richudson »

Mike,
Thanks for the info, I will try and get a copy, but they are scarce!

Richard
Richudson

Post by Richudson »

I have many (200+) Triangular postmarks all of which are in Bold Capitals as the font, yet I have come across this one in a 'handwritten style' font for Worthing (WG), can anyone tell me about this anomaly?
Attachments
WG.jpg
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Richard, according to Mackay's book, 'Hastings and Worthing were unusual in having triangles with the letters and numerals in script'. He illustrated the Hastings triangle which has 'HS' over the numeral '1'. Since writing the above I've thought of another book on my shelves which might help: Harry Layne's The Triangular Marks of Great Britain (2003). Layne covers all types of triangular marks, and he illustrates both the Hastings and your Worthing 'WG'. His book is based on a series he wrote for Gibbons Stamp Monthly in the late 1990s. He wrote a follow-up article on the telegraphic codes in the October and December 2012 issues of GSM which I've attached (I see it includes a picture of the Hastings triangle).
Also, Paul Carter's book on Krag postmarks might be useful: download it from www.gbps.org.uk/information/downloads/postal-markings
Attachments
Pages from GSM 2012 12 Dec2012.pdf
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 86 times
Pages from GSM 2012 10 Oct2012.pdf
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
Richudson

Post by Richudson »

Mike,
Thank you very much for your valuable information, do you know where I can get a copy of Harry Layne's The Triangular Marks of Great Britain (2003)? I have tried Amazon, E-bay, Abe Books all without joy.

Richard.