Commercial advertising on booklet interleaves

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Edward VIII.
earsathome

Commercial advertising on booklet interleaves

Post by earsathome »

Hello All,
Can anyone confirm if the commercial advertising on the interleaves in
KEVIII booklets is the same for the whole printing of one booklet edition number.

I have trawled through the British Stamp Booklets Parts 1 - 9 and though the
Fords blotting paper and Dubarry adverts are well covered I cannot find any sort of listing of the other interleaves.

The particular edition I am interested in is 368.

If no one has the answer, I have listed the interleaves I have in the two
copies of that edition in our collection.
If anyone who has that number 368 could check and confirm if the listing is the same, it may be of help.

2/- blue with a Bovril cover, number 368. Advert is "Number One Bond"
Cassel Bros.

Front Cover
In trying weather Try Bovril

Front cover inside
Soft Water Kennicott

1st I/L
Air mail (2 etiquettes)

2nd I/L front
A warning and Deaf book

2nd I/L back
Hoover

1st stamp pane
1½d x 4 +adv No. One Bond No.4

3rd I/L front
Independence Sun Life

3rd I/L back
Nature's remedy for indigestion J L Brace

2nd stamp pane
1½d x 6

4th I/L front
A 15 Moorgate Trust Investors Flexible

4th I/L back
Isle of Man

3rd stamp pane
1d by 6

5th I/L front
Postage rates Inland

5th I/L back
Postage rates Imperial Foreign

4th stamp pane
½d x 6

Back cover inside
A Sound Investment Universal Fixed Trust

Back cover outside
Deaf - Dent

Thanks for any help and regards to all

Ron.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Transfer from previous board: original post 1922

Post by Mike Jackson »

Ron, the following is from Ian Harvey:

The adverts in each edition of any booklet have to be all the same because that is the contract between the advertiser and the Post Office. Thus, all adverts for all books are proofed for each book, a dummy paste-up made for each edition and the interleaves prepared and printed in large sheets for 40 books to made at one go. Typically, at that time there were 500,000 books made for each edition. Then they went on to the next edition, when there could be some of the same ads depending on which firms had booked the space and how they wanted their new ad. The only recorded time that this went wrong is Series 4 2/= booklet 37, so it was remedied by a compensating second half of that edition having different ads to the first half so all the advertisers got a fair deal.
earsathome

Transfer from previous board: original post 1923

Post by earsathome »

Mike/Ian
Many thanks for that swift response and for all the information which will be very useful.

Eunice and I did a data-base of all the commercial advertising in the complete run that we have.

500,000 books seems a lot and one wonders why they are so expensive now, Supply and demand no doubt.

Thanks for answering the question and it is really appreciated.

Regards to all

Ron.
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1924

Post by Robinr »

Dear All,

I found the exchange on booklets and ads very interesting, and useful. Many thanks to Ron, Mike and Ian.

I have an exploded 2/- booklet in virtually perfect condition (no stamps!) but the cover does not match the rest of the booklet.

I am unaware of any source of information about the actual ads in each booklet, only the ads on the stamp panes. The back cover for this rogue booklet has "UNIVERSAL FIXED TRUST CERTIFICATES" on the buff inside, and "DEAF! - Back to hearing the Modern way" on the blue outside.

Can anybody tell me which booklet number this is please?

Many thanks,

Robin
earsathome

Transfer from previous board: original post 1925

Post by earsathome »

Robin,

We did a quick run through the data base we have of the complete run of booklets and I think you will find that the Edition you are looking at is number 354.

Jean did advise me that she had cards produced with the relevant interleaf adverts but that to include it in the book would have been too much, and would probably not have enough interest anyway.

The BSB booklets are a fantastic resource though and grateful thanks to Jean and Len.
Regards to all
Ron.