Perforation errors

Material relating to the philately of the reign of George VI.
Robinr

Perforation errors

Post by Robinr »

Dear All,

Perforator encroachments are well-known, and on the 1937 Coronation stamp occurred on most sheets, but usually only two or three holes, or five or six. The issue was only perforated on a type 5 machine.

I have an example that at a glance (in my case, without a lens) it looks like a type 6B machine has been used. Particularly interesting since this machine was used for the stop side of a sheet, and this is clearly a no-stop side.

On careful examination it is, obviously a major perforator encroachment. I would be pleased to know of any other similar examples, perhaps of a false type 6 machine?

Or maybe even other more extreme examples?

Thanks, and best wishes, Robin
Attachments
1225_1.jpg
owenmac

Re: Perforation errors

Post by owenmac »

Hi Robin

Here I also have a copy of the same encroachment on the same cylinder, however, mine even with a perf guide is accurate so not quite sure.

regards

Owen
Attachments
Scan 7.jpeg
Robinr

Re: Perforation errors

Post by Robinr »

Hi Owen,

Wonderful to get a reply, albeit ten years later than the question. Many thanks!

Since then I have a lot more experience studying perforator encroachments and false 6B perforations, nearly all with KE8 material. Even so I can only guess a comment on your block.

The panes were perforated seven at a time, that being the maximum number of sheets the machine could safely punch through without causing cloggings. This meant that there were seven copies of every remarkable deviant perforation and these would be virtually identical.

My guess is that your block and mine are from the same batch of seven that went into the machine and received that distinctive false 6B perforation.

Cheers! Robin