Victorian Mail Steamers

General postal history discussions on any topics we don't have a specific category for.
penny_red

Victorian Mail Steamers

Post by penny_red »

Can anyone help with information concerning Victorian mail steamers that collected mail from the west coast of Africa. I have a cover from a navy ship of the West African Squadron that was picked up from Bonny River on November 3rd 1871, probably the MS Roquelle, and would like to confirm what mail steamer it was brought to the UK on and when/where it docked?
Frank Walton

Transfer from previous board: original post 6380

Post by Frank Walton »

Not sure it really helps, but there is a picture of the Roquelle on p20 of Philip Beale's book on Sierra Leone.
railwaynut

Transfer from previous board: original post 11105

Post by railwaynut »

your description is brief - no mention of stamps on the cover or lack of them.

I have a collection of Cameroon (Kamerun) material and have often noted German 'yacht' type stamps of the Kamerun being cancelled at Southampton - I followed this up at the time and found a lot of mail from west africa was carried by Geman mail boats which called at Southampton before returning to Germany.

This info might have no relavance but it is sworth bearing in mind that your search might be too narrow.
penny_red

Transfer from previous board: original post 14218

Post by penny_red »

The cover has 6 x SG43 1d Reds with a manuscript annotation of Bonny River in one corner. I can post a picture if this helps with any answers.