Triangle cancellation mystery

British postmarks of all kinds and eras.
Robinr

Triangle cancellation mystery

Post by Robinr »

Dear All,

I understand that triangle cancellations were used for mailing circulars and simple printed matter, with the envelope being unsealed. I have two examples of the same envelope with the same triangular mark, one is attached. What bemuses me is that there is no way to tell when the item was posted. Is this normal?

If anybody could enlighten me on this particular triangle, and the cancellation in general, I'll be delighted.

Thanks a ton,

Robin
Attachments
1259_1.jpg
mozzerb
Site Admin

Transfer from previous board: original post 1264

Post by mozzerb »

Yes, that's normal -- printed matter was also referred to as 'second class mail', and a similar rule applied as for current second class mail, i.e. it could be held over in order to process more critical letter mail. Circulars posted in bulk (which is what this would have been) had to be posted by a certain time in the afternoon to get next-day treatment.

Hence the use of undated cancels -- in principle it wasn't relevant when the printed matter items were posted, as it could be held back until such time as it could be handled. That isn't to say that printed matter never received a dated cancel, just that it didn't have to.

'405' is the office number as per the old 1844 system -- Ipswich here -- which is what commonly appeared in provincial printed matter triangles. This one is a machine cancellation, of course.
Regards
Maurice Buxton
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1277

Post by Robinr »

Thanks Mozz - another enlightenment! I didn't realize I'd spent such a sheltered life! Cheers, Robin