Red "5" handstamp on cover to NZ via Panama

Rates in general and questions on particular covers.
Jstim

Red "5" handstamp on cover to NZ via Panama

Post by Jstim »

Does anyone have a record of a red hand stamp being used in the UK on GB covers to overseas destinations?
Ordinarily I'd have assumed that this hand stamp on a rather tatty cover to New Zealand via Panama would have been applied in NZ & indicated postage due to be paid by the recipient of the letter.

However I can see no reason why any amount was due, and certainly not this amount.

The rate is correct for sending the letter. Postmarks are a bit indistinct, but the receiving one on the back of the cover is Auckland FE 6 67

I have consulted Gerald Ellott, FRPSL, RDP - and he has no record of a "5" being used in New Zealand at this time. He also doesn't understand why it would have meant 5d was due - it just doesn't match up with any rate at the time. His theory is that it could have been applied in the UK, and could have meant a number of letters sent at the same time... but neither of us have much confidence in the theory. I had thought that it was for accounting. Of the 6d paid, 5d would be kept by GB Post office... but again not seen this in use elsewhere on covers to NZ of the time so little confidence in this either.

Any ideas?
scan0025.jpg
Attachments
scan0027.jpg
penny_red

Re: Red "5" handstamp on cover to NZ via Panama

Post by penny_red »

The normal convention at this time was that if the marking is Red then it's something paid and in Black then it's something due - doesn't help with your query though.
Jstim

Post by Jstim »

Had the following from Colin Tabeart...

It is a long time since I looked at the NSW/NZ service via Panama, but the UK allowed the mail from UK to go to NZ at the 6d rate, making no charge for the RMSPCo service to Chagres and trans Panama. The "5" in Red is an accountancy marking applied in London denoting 5d of the 6d prepaid owed to the NZ PO for the trans-Pacific sea postage and 1d NZ inland 1d postage. It is unusual - have seen very few letters OUTBOUND from UK by this service.

So Colin's explanation matched a theory I had about an accountancy mark, I just got it wrong about the allocation of the money.
Winston W

Post by Winston W »

Moubray deals with the Panama Route 1866-1869 to NZ.

It looks as if the 5d credit rate to the NZ PO applied from 26th September 1866.

Now all you might like to find is a 11d credit rate that applied before then.
Jstim

Post by Jstim »

I don't think there was a 11d rate - the rate to NZ at this time was 6d. I believe the contract for this route allowed 5d of the rate to be credited to NZ PO, and the remainder 1d. to the UK PO.
Winston W

Post by Winston W »

Jstim wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:12 pmI don't think there was a 11d rate
Quite right. You may have misread my post.

The postal rate before late September 1866 was 1/-, with (per Moubray) 11d credited to NZ.

If you read the Treasury warrant of 25 May 1866, here https://www.gbps.org.uk/information/sou ... -05-26.pdf, that gives the shilling rate.

This 1/- rate is confirmed by the Post Office notice to the public No. 24, dated 28th May 1866.