Post Office (Parcels) Act 1922
(12 & 13 Geo 5 c.49, 4th August 1922)
An Act to amend the Law with respect to the Remuneration of Railway Companies for the conveyance of Parcels.
[4th August 1922]
BE it enacted by the King's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
1. The Post Office (Parcels) Act, 1882, shall have effect as if in paragraph (2) of section two thereof (which fixes the amount of railway remuneration)—
- "two-fifths of the gross receipts" were substituted for "eleven-twentieth parts of the gross receipts" wherever that expression occurs; and
- a reference to the weights of or rates of postage for parcels mentioned in the Schedule to this Act were substituted for the reference to those mentioned in the Second Schedule to that Act; and
- there were added to the grounds on which a revision of the amount of the railway remuneration may be required, the ground that the number of parcels conveyed otherwise than by rail exceeds ten per cent. of the total number of parcels transmitted by post, whether borne by rail, road, or any other method of transport:
Provided that, where the amount of the railway remuneration is revised on the ground last herein mentioned, such revision shall take effect as from the date when such excess as aforesaid first occurred.
2. The returns which, under section three of the Post Office and Telegraph Act, 1920, the Postmaster-General is required in every year to cause to be made, shall include returns showing the proportion of the total number of parcels transmitted by post which is conveyed by rail and by other methods of transport respectively, and that section shall have effect accordingly.
3.—(1) This Act may be cited as the Post Office (Parcels) Act, 1922.
(2) Subsection (2) of section two of the Post Office and Telegraph Act, 1915, is hereby repealed.
(3) This Act shall not apply to any part of Ireland other than Northern Ireland.
(4) This Act shall be deemed to have had effect as from and after the fifteenth day of August, nineteen hundred and twenty-one.
S C H E D U L E.
Weights of and Rates of Postage.
|For a parcel not exceeding 2 lb. in weight.||0||9|
|For a parcel exceeding 2 lb. but not exceeding 5 lb.||1||0|
|For a parcel exceeding 5 lb. but not exceeding 8 lb.||1||3|
|For a parcel exceeding 8 lb. but not exceeding 11 lb.||1||6|